BCBST News Center, Jesse Thompson, June 1, 2020
As Tennesseans have united to embrace novel coronavirus safety protocols and help protect each other’s health, COVID-19 continues to affect our members and communities. And we want to make sure the people we serve have convenient access to the care they need.
That’s why we’ve committed to waiving member costs on testing and treatment until the end of the COVID-19 national emergency, whenever that may be.
How we cover testing
If you’re concerned you may have contracted the virus, regardless of the symptoms you’re feeling, contact your provider by phone or setting up a telehealth visit. We’ll cover and waive member costs for FDA-approved COVID-19 tests, as well as those currently pending FDA approval, if your doctor recommends it.
We’re also waiving member copays and deductibles for the visit to your provider, urgent care center or emergency room related to the test, as long as the provider is in your network. We’ll still cover the testing and visit if you see a provider out of your network, but they may bill you for the difference in their visit charge and our payment to them.
Other testing details:
- We’ll cover at-home tests that diagnose a current infection if authorized by a licensed physician. (Many at-home tests marketed have proved ineffective, so we’ll cover just those the FDA has cleared, approved or given emergency use authorization for.)
- Many providers are performing testing for flu and strep prior to COVID-19 testing. These are covered under your usual benefit and cost-share.
How we cover treatment
If you’re diagnosed with COVID-19, we’ll cover any relevant provider treatment. We’ll also waive your costs for COVID-19 treatment at in-network facilities and with in-network providers until the end of the COVID-19 national emergency.
That means you won’t pay anything for treatment from providers in our network.
Other treatment details:
- Any prescriptions or over-the-counter drugs your doctor recommends for at-home symptom treatment will have your normal copay or cost-share.
- We’ll cover vaccines developed and approved to treat COVID-19 when they’re available.
- We’ll cover FDA-approved COVID-19 antibody tests that a network provider orders during an appointment, including during a telehealth appointment.
- You do not need a preauthorization from your provider to be tested and treated for COVID-19, as they already have certain claims codes in place.
BlueCross will continue to consult local and national health organizations and medical professionals about the COVID-19 pandemic, and we will evaluate our coverage timeline and update our members accordingly.
Visit BCBSTUpdates.com for more information about we continue to serve our members during this time.